Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Perfect Gift.....

We’ve probably all heard, and maybe at one time even asked, the question: What do you get the person who has everything?

Truly, the Queen of England would, I think, qualify as a “person who has everything”, or at least a person who could have anything she wanted. So I guess it is hard to find a gift, even a token, ceremonial gift to give her. She certainly doesn’t need any plates or medals and she has a few whole palaces full of paintings and art work. But, I was a little surprised at President Obama’s gift today to the Queen of an ipod. I would have thought, maybe, one of those Franklin Mint coins with his picture on it and the official numbered certificate would have been nice, or how about a Yankee Candle, I'm sure those old castles that the Queen lives in can be pretty musty smelling.

I know that the President is supposed to be a hip technologist with his Blackberry and his own ipod. But, if the Queen doesn’t already have an ipod, and if she wanted one, I’m sure she would have one, what would she do with one? I somehow can’t picture her walking the dogs around the palace grounds with her ipod on her belt, or sitting in the royal chambers listening to the ipod in it’s docking station (I wonder if the President also gave her a docking station?). Or, driving around in one of her Rolls’ with the ipod plugged into the radio. Of course, with Wall Street and Detroit in the dumps, the ipod is perhaps the ultimate example these days of American engineering and ingenuity, so on those grounds I guess it might be the perfect American ceremonial gift.

The Queen, now on the other hand, did, I think, give the President the perfect gift, a framed, signed picture of herself and Prince Philip. I don’t know how it was signed or if there was any little inscription like, Keep up the good work, or, Good luck with your Final 4, but most likely the President doesn’t have one of those pictures yet.

Attention relatives and friends, since I’m not working and I have a neat digital camera and photo printer, you are all getting pictures of me for birthdays, Christmas and other special occasions. If the Queen of England can do it and not be considered cheap or worse, why not me!

No comments:

Post a Comment