Thursday, April 2, 2009

Well, Maybe, But.....

The online job site, The Ladders, recently published some advice on how to handle the sticky situation where you have too much experience or are just plain over qualified for the position for which you are being interviewed, and which you probably desperately want and need. The slightly flawed scenario and advice that they present is:

"My current position as Regional Sales Manager requires me to cover fourteen states and the job had grown into fifteen nights of travel per month. This has become an increasingly difficult sacrifice for my family. I have decided to seek a major accounts rep position that allows me to focus on my strengths -- selling, sustaining top-notch client relationships, and up-selling -- but also allows me to go home most evenings. This is not an option at my current job. It requires a lot of out-of-town travel to do the job, which I am no longer willing to do. I believe my extensive marketing and sales skills would greatly benefit your organization in a positive way. I see this as a win/win situation for both of us."

I say that this is slightly flawed because, while this may be a perfectly logical way to address the issue when you are working, if, like many of us, you are not working, your problem is not that you are away from home too much on business, it is that you never leave the house because you have no business to go to!

My suggestion, without appearing too desperate or begging, is to use their line, “I believe my extensive marketing and sales skills would greatly benefit your organization in a positive way.” And then maybe beg a little!

No comments:

Post a Comment