Thursday, March 5, 2009

Welcome To My World.....

Today marks the start of my fourth month of “retirement”. Well, actually, I’m not really “retired”. I just think it sounds better, even with the economy in the tank and, if everybody was added up, well over 10% of the population out of work, to think and say that I’m “retired” and not “unemployed”. It even, I think, carries a sense of accomplishment if people think that you did well enough in your working life to be able to retire in your mid-fifties. He must have been some kind of a hot-shot somewhere!”

Actually, I was doing OK until the economy sank. I climbed the corporate ladder a couple of times and had a nice management job with business cards and some travel. We’re still doing OK thanks to some savings, budgeting, a small inheritance and my still hard working wife. It really feels strange to hand her her lunch every morning and watch her drive away to work and I’m still at home.

But, the truth of the matter is, now along with millions of others, young and old, I am unemployed, without a job, on the sidelines, looking for work. Today is the four month anniversary of the “corporate restructuring” that got me here. “Corporate restructuring”, that is the nice politically correct corporate way of saying staff reduction or layoffs.

It’s been an interesting three months so far. Hopefully the coming months will be equally interesting and maybe even fruitful and profitable.

The purpose of this blog is to recount and chronicle those times and the times going forward as I and we stumble through the messy situation. There is good, bad, ugly, sad, serious and funny to it all. There are lessons learned and lessons to be learned.

Please feel free to add your own comments, thoughts and experiences as we go forward, and as I add mine. There are plenty of common, shared experiences that we can learn and profit from and even laugh about.

No comments:

Post a Comment