Thursday, April 16, 2009

"O" is for.....

Well, it’s not for Orgasm! Sorry about that, but I just spent 20 minutes on the phone with a recruiter, who seemed to barely speak English, trying to convince him that while, sure I was OVERQUALIFIED for the temporary consulting job that he had called me about, I was very, very interested in it, I wouldn’t be bored, I could certainly add value to the company and the position, and well, hey, some job and some salary for some time is better than no job and no salary for some time.

I don’t think he believed me for some reason. His final words were, “I know that I can find you something much better and much better suited to your level and your qualifications”. I certainly hope so, but I’m not holding my breath right now, because I’ve heard it all before.

This, coincidently, brings me to more advice on the issue of over qualification which addresses just this issue and which I just happened to read in the Washington Post. The advice didn’t work for me, but, hey, who knows, it might work for somebody else.

-- Simplify your résumé. If you have an advanced degree such as a master's, don't list it on your résumé. If asked, don't lie, but you want to at least get an interview and a chance to explain why you are willing to take a job for which you may be overqualified.

-- Beat the manager to the punch. In your cover letter, or if you're fortunate to get an interview either face-to-face or on the telephone, acknowledge that you may appear overqualified for the job. But stress that you are willing to work hard and at a lower position. And you need to be convincing. This means you have to mean what you say.

-- Address the pay issue. You don't want to talk money too soon, but be upfront that you are willing to work for less -- probably much less than your previous job. Again, be authentic. Without sounding desperate -- even if you are -- explain that given the economy, you have realistic salary expectations.

-- This recession has been a humbling experience for highly experienced professionals. So my last tip is: Watch your attitude when job-hunting.

Hiring managers are flooded with applications, and they don't have time for someone who might look down on the position they are trying to fill. Think of it from that person's perspective. It costs money to fill and then refill a position. You might say you are willing to work for anything, but they can tell if you're just buying time until you can get a better job.

Good Luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment