Wednesday, September 15, 2010

YOU ARE WHAT YOU WEAR...

I’m not a “dirty old man”…well, maybe just a little. But, I think like most guys, of all ages, I “enjoy” a pretty, provocatively dressed female. Tight jeans on a good body are a particular turn-on to me. Which is why this latest made for media (or made by media) controversy about the Mexican TV Reporter in the New York Jets Locker room is such a fascination to me.

First of all, I think any type of harassment is bad and uncalled for. I also am not a believer of the “she was looking for it” or “she was asking for it” philosophy of sexual behavior. Finally, I almost never, ever agree with anything that Rush Limbaugh says or believes in. But, seeing the pictures of Ines Sainz on the sidelines and in the locker room, and the pictures of her on her website and on the website of her TV network, what were she and they thinking? She was clearly being advertised not as a Sports Reporter, but as a Sex Symbol, and her admirable assets as Sex Objects to be drooled, fanaticized and more over! Not that I’m totally condoning the actions and responses of the Jets Players, but what’s a testosterone flooded locker room to do! A room full of monks would have had a similar reaction….well, maybe not all of the monks.

This, of course, brings up the whole issue of what is and is not appropriate attire for work and play. I do like dressing casually and comfortably for work and when I go out. Although, I must admit, on a certain level, I do miss the days when I would put on a nice suit, shirt and tie to go to the office or for a night out to dinner or the theater. It provided a nice dividing line for parts of my life, and also made going out special. Now, you can go from the office to the garden to dinner and to a show without ever even changing your shoes. And, honestly, at some places where I have worked, the dress has really been more appropriate for working in the garden than going to work or even the supermarket!

As much as I had to admit it, maybe the old nuns in my old Catholic school were right. Maybe the way you dress does have an impact on how you act and how other people see and treat you. And, maybe it is time that we go back to more formal attire at work. After all, with the economy the way it is, this could certainly help the clothing industry if we all had to go out and buy new suits again!

No comments:

Post a Comment